APW Elementary

APW Elementary
Rebel Pride Starts Inside

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Day #25 - 10/7/14 - Unit 1 Lesson 12 Part I

Hear Ye Hear Ye,
         As your mentors, Mrs. Sargent and I send out to each of you a “Call to Adventure." Will you take on the role of Hero and accept this challenge? Your quest, if you accept it, is to travel the great distance, through obstacles unknown, to your locker and defeat the mess monster that lies within. Return only when you have confronted this mystical beast and are certain that he will not return. It may sound like a simple quest, but remember each great accomplishment begins with one small step!  
                        Thank you,
                        Mrs. Sargent & Mr. T
P2P:
What do you want parents and family members to see tonight at Open House?

Picture of the Day

For Lesson 12 - Part I

  • I can select evidence from both the Lightning Thief and “The Hero’s Journey” that shows how Percy is on a hero’s Journey.
  • I can write a paragraph describing how Percy’s experiences align with “The Hero’s Journey”



What does the word paragraph mean to you?

What does a good paragraph include?
I  - Introduction

D - Details

E - Evidence

C - Closing/Conclusion

What are your favorite lines from chapter 7? (Funny, intriguing, thought provoking) 

Activity #1 - Writing: How does Percy’s Experiences align with The Hero’s Journey?
  • Reread the four parts of The Hero’s Journey listed below. 
  • Reread pages 93 - 95 in Ch 7.
  • Choose one experience from The Lightning Thief and match it with a stage of The Hero’s Journey.
  • Gather Evidence from each text.
  • Use your graphic organizer on Lesson 12 page 6 to help you write the paragraph. 

  1. Entering the Unknown
  2. Supernatural Aid
  3. Allies and Helpers
  4. The Road of Trials


Lesson 12 Page 6



Lesson 12 Page 7
Homework - Finish writing your paragraph aligning The Lightning Thief and The Hero’s Journey. (Lesson 12 page 7)


Learning Stations
Station 1  Read Aloud/Guided Reading
  • Do you think Paul will be happy at Tangerine Middle? Explain your reasoning. 


Station 2  Computers NewsELA.com (Non-Fiction/Expository)
  • Select a category & choose an article that looks interesting.
  • Read the Article that is at just the Right level for YOU!!
  • Complete the 5 W’s graphic organizer
  • Be ready to share about your article

Station 3  Independent Reading (Fiction/Narrative)
  • Remember to fill in your “Book Notes” at the end of each reading session
  • Letters will be due on Friday Oct. 10 (Block 2 only)

Station 4  Journal Writing
  • See the Anchor chart for writing ideas
  • Be prepared to share your writing


          During this time of year many people take weekend vacations and tours through the Adirondack mountains so that they can be witness to the beautiful scenes that are painted in the countryside of New York State. Most of us are too busy to truly slow down and notice what a wonderful world it is that we live in.
         For me, every morning has become a joyful excursion through this rich autumn landscape. Every day I get to be witness to the glorious sun rising over the tops of the brilliant fall colors, with golden rays of sunshine streaming through the branches making them look ablaze with the glow that shines in the morning mist. The long shadows cast out across the burnt landscape making the sun appear to dance on the dew covered fields, and as I sit behind the wheel of my car I notice how the dew glistens bringing an even deeper richness to the mosaic of colors. Being the lone traveler on this country road it’s as though this resplendent landscape was painted just for me, and me alone.

         I sit in my car speeding ever onward toward the goal, the destination, and the next task. I know all too well the realities of the school day that lie ahead, but for just a moment, I take great pleasure with this one masterpiece, and I sit in awe looking out at the brushstrokes that have been cast over the landscape. In that moment I understand how truly small I am, and at the same time I realize just how truly lucky I am.


Independent Reading Letter # 2
Criteria:
Block 1 - Due Friday October 3
Block 2 - Due Friday October 10

1. Tell me the title and author 
2. Include the main character & the Gist
3. Make an Inference (What type of person is the main character?) Use evidence from the text to support your inference. 
4. Include a prediction about what you think might happen next.
5. Finish with a question or something that you wonder.



No comments:

Post a Comment