APW Elementary

APW Elementary
Rebel Pride Starts Inside

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Day #133 - 4/23/15 - Mod 2a Unit 2 Lesson 18 - Poetry - Using simile and metaphor & Sharing Bio-Poems

Good Morning Rebels, 
          I hope you all slept well last night. Today is the second day of the Common Core Math test. We will be taking the test this morning and using our 2-hour delay schedule. Remember to do your best! Today is also a ‘D’ day so we will go to Gym. Remember to order your lunch and then work on the Point to Ponder. 
                            Thank you
                       Mrs. Sargent & Mr. T.
P2P: Pic up a trivia card to quiz a friend who sits close to you. Take turns asking and answering trivia questions. 


Activity #1
Poetry Preview
Key Questions:
What do you like about the poems?
What metaphors and similes do the poets use?
Do the poems have a rhyme scheme?
How do the poems make you feel?
What pictures come into your mind?
What creative & figurative language does the poet use?


Activity #2
Draft your own “Season inside of me” poem using simile and metaphor. 
I can draft my own “season inside of me” poem using simile and metaphor. 


Tips to help you write with simile & metaphor
Simile = an indirect comparison using like or as
The ________ inside of me is like... Adjective noun, followed by a Verb (give it an action and location) 
or
The ________ inside of me is as __(Adj.)____ as__________ ... 

Metaphor = a direct comparison
The _______ inside of me is ________ 

Use the five senses: Sound, smell, Sight, feel & taste 
Use action words, feeling words, and figurative language
provide location and a sense of “Scene” for the action
Use descriptive language like color words 

Activity #3
I can present my poem in front of an audience in order to receive feedback in preparation for editing and revising.


Activity #4
I can type a final copy of my poem for publication. 




No comments:

Post a Comment