APW Elementary

APW Elementary
Rebel Pride Starts Inside

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Day #6 - 9/10/14 - Unit 1 Lesson 3

Good Morning 6th graders,
       Today is an ‘A’ day. Please remember to order your lunch and sharpen your pencils. Be sure you have all the materials you will need for the morning.
        We will be going to the Book Fair on thursday this week. If you want to buy books don’t forget to bring in your money on Thursday.
        The first thing you should do today is work on the "Point to Ponder” in your ELA notebook. You may use your book to help you.  Be sure to include the date. If you finish you can reread chapter 1 of The Lightning Thief. 
                           Thank you
                           Mrs. Sargent & Mr. Trumble
Point to Ponder: 
In ch 1, What are some things that you noticed about Percy? (Write at least 3 things)
What are two things you wonder about Percy? 



For Lesson 3










I can make inferences about Percy in order to understand him as the narrator of this story.

I can cite evidence from the text when answering questions and discussing Percy’s character in The Lightning Thief.

I can follow our Triad Talk Expectations when I participate in a discussion.


Read Chapter 1 Pages 1-4
What is this chapter mostly about so far? 


We will use the Carousel Brainstorm Protocol to write what you notice and what you wonder about Percy Jackson.


 (Quotes for the Carousel Brainstorm)
1.     “If you’re a normal kid, reading this because you think it’s fiction, great. Read on.”

2.     “Am I a troubled kid? Yeah. You could say that.”

3.     “But Mr. Brunner, our Latin teacher, was leading this trip, so I had hopes.”

4.     “I hoped the trip would be okay. At least, I hoped that for once I wouldn’t get in trouble.”

5.     “Grover tried to calm me down. ‘It’s okay. I like peanut butter.’ He dodged another piece of Nancy’s lunch. ‘That’s it.’ I started to get up, but Grover pulled me back to my seat. 


What inferences can you make about Percy?
(Making Inferences about Percy Anchor Chart)


Directions For answering Questions from the text.
1. Read the Questions.
2. Reread pages 1 - 4 while keeping the questions in mind.
3. When you find any evidence, mark the page with an evidence flag.
4. After reading, Discuss the questions with your triad.
5. Write the answer to the question in your own words, using a complete sentence.
6. Copy the sentence or two from the text that you are using as evidence for your answer.

Complete the Exit Ticket (both sides)

Homework:
Do a “first draft” read of Chapter 2 and complete the Purpose for Reading-Ch 2­ worksheet.





No comments:

Post a Comment