APW Elementary

APW Elementary
Rebel Pride Starts Inside

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Day 31: 10/19/17 - C Day: Writer's Workshop Session #3 - The Narrative Writing Check List & Quick List #3

Good Morning 6th Graders,
          Today is a 'C' Day. Make sure you use the bathroom & sharpen your pencils. Check to see that you have everything you need for your morning classes. 
                           Thank you
                           Mr. Trumble
ELA:
Do Now:
  • Write tonight's homework down in your agenda
  • Take out Journal Entry #2
Homework: 
  • Finish Journal Entry #3 (Fill 1 Page minimum)


Writers Workshop Session #3

Standards:
  • W6.3 - Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, relevant descriptive details, and a well structured sequence of events
  • W6.4 - Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience

Part 1 - Collaboration & Evaluation
(You do: 10 minutes)

Directions: Share your second journal entry with a writing partner (You choose your own partner. For each journal entry you will pick a different partner.) 

With your partner: (Discuss any of the following)
  • Identify the things that "WOW' you.
  • Share your thoughts and feelings
  • Discuss any connections you make to your partners writing
  • Look for figurative language: personification, simili, metaphor, hyperbole, alliteration, idioms, & onomatopoeia
  • Analyze the characters? What do you know about them?
  • Identify the setting? Did the writer develop a setting?
  • Analyze the elements of plot. Is there an exposition, inciting incident, rising action, climax, falling action, or resolution?
  • Look for conflicts. Can you identify what types of conflicts the author included?
  • Analyze the mood & tone of the journal entry.
  • Can you identify a theme? If so, what is the theme?
  • Did the writer write about a small moment, or did they summarize?
As we grow as writers, it is important that we analyze our writing, but that we can practice writing without judgement. In this way we don't worry about what others will think or how we will be evaluated. I will eventually evaluate your final piece, but just like a coach has practices with their players before the "Big Game" I want you to think of these journal entries as "practice" and I want you to take risks, and try new things with your writing without worrying about getting a good grade. 

**********************************************
It is also important that we continue to have an environment of respect for all. Remember what Lucy Calkins said about  your writing, Honor your writing, and honor each other's writing!
"Read it like it's Gold!" 
**********************************************
Follow Up Whole Group: 
Does anyone want to share about the discussion you had with your writing partner? 
What did you speak about?


Part 2 - The Narrative Writing Checklist & Quick List #3
(We do - 15 Minutes)

Directions: Generate Quick Lists to help you organize Ideas
(We Do: Review points 4 - 5 & 7-8 for writing powerful personal narratives)









  • 4 Climb inside the moment and write within the narrator's point of view.
  • 5 Make the characters say the words and use the tone that shows their personalities.
  • 7 Zoom in on the small but powerful details that really capture big moments and feelings.
  • 8 Use the Narrative Writing Checklist to ask, "As a writer, what are my strengths? What are my needs?" Then, plan your next steps.
Next Steps
  1. Create New Notebook Page.
  2. Review How my Writing will be evaluated.

Today we are going to make one last Quick List.

Open to the next page in your notebook.
Date & Title your notebook 

(You do)

(We do)
What are some of the "Firsts" you put on your list?
What are some of the "Lasts" you put on your list??
What was a moment you realized something important?


Part 3 - Quick Write Journal Entry #3
(You do - 20 Minutes)
Directions: Pick one of the moments on Quick List #3 and...
1. Write in detail (do not summarize a stretch of time)
2. Help readers picture the episode - a small action/moment & exact dialogue.
4. Climb inside the moment and write within the narrator's point of view.
5. Make the characters say the words and use the tone that shows their personalities.
7. Zoom in on the small but powerful details that really capture big moments and feelings.
8. Use the Narrative Writing Checklist to ask, "As a writer, what are my strengths? What are my needs?" Then, plan your next steps.

* Think - My entry should be like Max writing about one of the events on the rising action

We will begin Writer's Workshop Session #4 tomorrow by picking a 3rd writing partner and sharing our journal entries, so it is very important that you do your best. Honor your writing. Write like it's Gold

Mr. T's Journal Entry
          I’ve often discovered that God speaks to me when I’m least expecting it, like on my morning commute to school. On this particular day I was feeling rather gloomy and I wasn't looking forward to the day ahead. My mood however did not match the joyful excursion I found myself on through the rich autumn landscape. As I drove mindlessly around a bend in the road, in an instant I was blessed to see the sun rising over the tops of the brilliant fall colors, with golden and amber rays of sunshine streaming through the branches making them look ablaze. The long shadows cast out across the burnt landscape making the sun appear to dance and glisten off the dew covered fields. As I sat behind the wheel of my car I noticed that as the dew glistens it brings an even deeper richness to the mosaic of colors. Being the lone traveler on the country road through this majestic landscape it was as though God had, with His own hand, painted this resplendent landscape for me and me alone. 
            The moment passes all too quickly, but in those few split seconds where I get to steal glimpses of what the hands of God can create, I can’t help but to feel completely connected to my surroundings, and at the same time, somehow feel completely insignificant. I sit in my car speeding ever onward toward the goal, the destination, and the next task. I know all too well the realities of the school day that lie ahead of me, but for just a moment, I take great pleasure with this one masterpiece, and I sit in awe looking out at the brushstrokes that have been caste over the landscape. In that moment I understand how truly small I am, but at the same time I appreciate how blessed I am, and I remind myself to never take what I have for granted.



RTI - 10/19/17 - C Day


Standards:
  • W6.3 - Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, relevant descriptive details, and a well structured sequence of events
  • W6.4 - Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience

Writing Strategy: Quick Write - Journaling

Directions: Pick a new moment on Quick List #3, or return to the moment you began writing about earlier today, and 
1. Write in detail (do not summarize a stretch of time)
2. Help readers picture the episode - a small action/moment & exact dialogue.
* Think - My entry should be like Max writing about one of the events on the rising action

No comments:

Post a Comment